Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving

In years past the extended family (uncles, aunts, cousins, etc) would gather at my grandparents farm, 40+ people getting together for the holiday complete with kids tables, card games after-wards, sometimes necessary farm work like branding and castrating cattle (because the manpower was ready and available), usually that part was done before dinner. But I have some great memories of Thanksgivings at my grandparents. That changed when my Grandpa died and more and more of us began drifting father and farther from home.

The last 4 years I had my daughters for part of the day, and my ex would have them the other part, we would do things like go to the church for a dinner for families or individuals without family in the area, or if that wasn't an option, I would get a healthy choice dinner, turkey and gravy, potatoes, and green-beans with cranberries while the girls went with the ex for dinner. Depressing as hell, especially since most of my friends had family and weren't really able or willing to hang out while I had some free time.

This year... well, my grandma's in a home, as far as I know there's no plan for any kind of gathering for the holiday, and I'm 2500 miles from my kids. I'm not looking forward to this Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment